Crime scene analysis for environmental based scenes: diesel spill
There are many trucks carrying oil products through our streets. We will simulate an incident involving a truck which has incurred a diesel spill from the fuel tank and has resulted in the subsequent contamination of both a river and river bank. This will be achieved by staging a simplistic representation which mimics the real situation of a case such as this.
In groups, the participants will actively conduct the required procedures to investigate this scene, under the supervision of experts in forensic science. The activities will include:
- preliminary assessment of the incident
- proper management of the crime scene area to avoid the contamination of evidence
- sketching of the scene
- creation of crime scene photographs and a photographic report
- creation of examination notes
- sample collection, evidence packaging and labelling and discussions about appropriate storage.
All the above information will be used by the crime scene team to develop the final technical report and help interpret their findings.